We are integrated with the Lightning Network! You can use Lightning to send and receive bitcoin on Cash App.
The Lightning Network is a second layer technology applied to the bitcoin blockchain that is intended to enable faster transactions with little to no fees.
How can I send bitcoin using Lightning?
To get started sending bitcoin with the Lightning Network:
- Tap the Payments ‘$’ tab on your Cash App to get to the home screen
- Tap the QR Scanner on the top left corner of the screen
- Hold your camera over the Lightning Invoice QR code to scan it
- Follow the prompts to confirm and pay the request
How can I receive bitcoin using Lightning?
To receive bitcoin with the Lightning Network:
- Tap the Money Tab
- Tap the Bitcoin tile
- Tap the airplane button
- Tap Receive bitcoin
- Add Amount (optional)
- Tap Share to send your QR code OR Show your QR code to sender and scan
- To receive bitcoin with the Lightning Network, the sender doesn’t need a Cash App account to pay your request, but they will need a bitcoin wallet with Lightning enabled. This feature is not available to customers in New York.
- Cash App currently only accepts Bitcoin (BTC). We do not support any other cryptocurrencies (like Bitcoin Cash). When other types of cryptocurrency are sent to a bitcoin (BTC) wallet, this will result in permanent loss of funds.
Can I use Cash App for Lightning and Bitcoin Network transactions?
You can use Cash App for Lightning and transactions on the Bitcoin Network (blockchain). This means you can request, send, receive, and withdraw bitcoin with others on Cash App or outside of Cash App.
What is the difference between Lightning and Bitcoin Network Transactions?
Using the Lightning Network is a faster and cheaper way to send and receive bitcoin transactions. There are typically little to no fees involved, and it’s used to send smaller amounts of bitcoin. Lightning transactions are not recorded on the blockchain.
The Bitcoin Network (On-Chain or using the blockchain for transactions) takes more processing time, and may have some fees involved. This method relies on the blockchain to process transactions.
All Lightning transactions are almost instant. All transactions through the blockchain could take several hours to process.
Does Cash App automatically use Lightning for all my transactions?
All transactions from QR codes automatically go through the Lightning Network, unless:
- You reach your Lightning Limits for sending or receiving. Payments will then be sent via the Bitcoin Network (On-chain or via the blockchain)
- You specify that you would like to send or receive using the Bitcoin Network
Are there limits for sending and receiving using the Lightning Network?
You can send, or receive payment of up to $999 in bitcoin every 7 days using the Lightning Network.
To view your bitcoin limits and progress in app:
- Tap the Profile icon
- Tap on Limits
Why did my QR code expire?
All Lightning payment requests expire after 72 hours, and you are unable to use the same payment request twice. If you see that your requester’s QR code or link has expired, have them go through the process and send another payment request.
Can I use the same QR code to pay someone twice?
Do not pay using the same Lightning invoice QR code more than once. Sending bitcoin via the same QR code more than once will result in a loss of funds.