How does Cash App keep my account safe?
Cash App uses cutting-edge encryption and fraud detection technology to make sure your data and money is secure.
Any information you submit is encrypted and sent to our servers securely, regardless of whether you’re using a public or private Wi-Fi connection or data service (3G, 4G, or EDGE).
Cash App uses the same fraud detection infrastructure and safety standards that monitor millions of daily Square Point of Sale transactions.
Cash is also PCI Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) Level 1 compliant. Learn more about security at Square.
What can I do to keep my account safe?
There are simple and easy ways to make sure your account and money isn’t put at risk.
Beware of scams and phishing attempts
- In general, if something sounds too good to be true (like free money in exchange for a small payment), it’s a scam.
- Only reply to emails from people and organizations that you know and trust. Cash emails will come from @square.com, @squareup.com, or @cash.app.
- Emails from the Cash Team or Square will only contain links to websites at square.com, squareup.com, cash.app or cash.me. If an email contains links to other websites, it was NOT sent by Square.
- Cash App Support will never ask you to provide your sign-in code, PIN, Social Security Number (SSN), and will never require you to send a payment, make a purchase, download any application for “remote access,” or complete a "test" transaction of any kind.
- For more information on avoiding scams, read Avoid Scams and Keep Your Money Safe with Cash App.
Cash App Sign In
- Every time you sign in to your Cash App account, you’re sent a one-time-use login code.
- If you received an unsolicited sign-in code via email, we recommend securing the email account associated with your Cash App account by updating your password and enabling two-factor authentication.
- If you sign in to your Cash App app on a device other than your personal device, make sure to sign out.
Cash App Payment Verification
- Enable the Security Lock setting so that every Cash App payment requires your passcode, Touch ID, or Face ID.
- Enable notification via text message or email so that you are notified after every Cash payment. You can adjust these settings in the profile section of your Cash App.
Secure your Cash Card
- Hide your virtual Cash Card info: Open the Cash Card tab, tap on the card, and toggle Show Cash Card Info.
- Temporarily disable your Cash Card: Open the Cash Card tab, tap on the card, and toggle Enable Cash Card.
Secure your mobile device
- Create a passcode for your mobile device. To do so, check your device’s general settings. You may need to check your device manual for more information.
Secure your email
- If you have an email address associated with your Cash App account, we recommend securing that email account by enabling two-factor authentication (if your email provider supports it).
Secure your identity
- We may prompt you to verify your identity with your Social Security Number (SSN) within the app. Certain features within Cash App require your identity to be verified.
- To keep your identity safe, never share your SSN or offer your SSN to anyone outside of Cash App. As a reminder, Cash App Support will never ask for your SSN to receive help.
- For additional resources on keeping your identity safe, we recommend checking out these free resources to help with credit monitoring.