Cash App wants you to avoid scams and help keep your funds safe. So remember -- if something sounds too good to be true (like free money in exchange for a small payment), it’s likely a scam.
Jump toHow to Recognize and Avoid Scams to Keep Your Money Safe
How to Recognize and Avoid Scams to Keep Your Money Safe
When using Cash App to send money, we strongly recommend the following:
- Turn on notifications and enable Security Lock to keep your account more secure
- Keep your information safe. Never provide sensitive information to anyone
- Verify and double-check all recipient information before sending any payment to confirm you are sending money to the correct person
- Don’t send money to someone promising you something in the future
- Don’t send money to a love interest you haven’t met in person
Never Provide Anyone with your Sensitive Information
Fraudsters often attempt to steal your data and gain access to accounts by pretending to be a Cash App customer service representative. Cash App service representatives will never ask for or demand the following:
- Your sign-in code. This unique code helps keep your account safe and secure from scammers and fraudsters
- Sensitive information. This includes your full debit card number, PIN, bank account information, or your social security number. Never provide detailed personal information to anyone claiming to work for Cash App via phone, email, social media, text messages, or any other contact channel
- To send a payment to any Cash App account. There is never a valid reason to send money to an account claiming to be Cash App, Cash App support or other companies outside of Cash App
- To download any application for “remote access,” or to complete a "test" transaction of any kind (such as AnyDesk)
If someone claiming to work for Cash App Support does any of the things above, they're probably a scammer. Should you encounter any of these situations, end communication immediately and contact us through one of our verified support channels at Contact Cash App .
Common Questions about Scams and Fraudsters
Q: How do I report a scam payment?
A: Report a potential scam payment by following these steps:
- Tap the profile icon in the top right corner
- Tap Support
- Select Report a Payment Issue
- Select the payment and follow the prompts
Q: How do I report a potential scam account?
A: Report a potential scam account by following these steps:
- Launch the Cash App and tap on a Customer Avatar to view a profile. You can also search for a profile by entering a name, $cashtag, phone number, or email
- Scroll to the bottom of the profile and tap on ‘Report’ or ‘Block’
- Select one of the options and follow next steps
Q: Does Cash App have customer service support?
A: Yes - The best way to contact Cash App Support is through your app. Tap the profile icon on your Cash App home screen, select Support, and navigate to the issue
Check out Contact Cash App Support here for all the ways you can reach out. You may also reach Cash App's support team at 1 (800) 969-1940.
Q: Is it safe to send money to people I don't know?
A: Only send payments to people who you trust. Cash App to Cash App payments are instant and usually can’t be canceled. To be sure, check your activity feed to see if the payment receipt is displaying a cancel option. For more information, see canceling a payment.
Q: Can I dispute a purchase if I pay someone ahead of time?
A: Never pay someone who you don’t trust for something promised to you in the future (like a puppy or a lease on a new apartment). Most payments are instant and usually cannot be canceled. For guidance on disputing a Cash Card purchase, please see dispute a purchase. In general, if something sounds too good to be true (like free money in exchange for small payment), it’s likely a scam.
Q: Will Cash App Support ask for personal or account information?
A: Cash Support may ask for certain account details to verify we’re assisting the right person, which may include your legal name, email, phone number, or the last 3-4 digits of a linked bank account or card. We use encrypted forms through Sprinklr and SendSafely to securely collect this information.
Do not provide anyone with personal information like your Cash App PIN or sign-in code. Cash Support will never ask you to provide your sign-in code, PIN, or other sensitive information like your full bank account information. Cash Support will never require you to send a payment, make a purchase, download any application for “remote access,” or complete a "test" transaction of any kind.
Q: Does Cash App give away free money?
A: The Cash App team holds periodic sweepstakes on our official Twitter account (https://twitter.com/CashApp) where Cash App customers can win money from Cash App. These sweepstakes never require participants to provide anyone with their sign-in code or PIN. We also never ask customers to send a payment, make a purchase, download any application for “remote access,” or complete a "test" transaction of any kind. All payments are sent from the verified Cash App account, displayed with a blue checkmark.
Q: Does Cash App have social media accounts?
A: Yes, Cash App has several official verified accounts with the following social media platforms:
If something sounds too good to be true (like free money in exchange for a small payment), it’s likely a scam. Keep in mind that Cash App to Cash App payments are instant and usually can’t be canceled. Following the above tips to recognize scams, report phishing attempts, and keep your account secure to minimize your scam risk and protect your money.